DroneKit-Python is an SDK for developers to create Python apps that communicate with vehicles over MAVLink. It provides developers with programming access to a vehicle’s telemetry and status information, along with enabling both mission management and direct control over vehicle movement and operations.
The Python SDK allows you to develop on the drone itself, via accessing onboard companion computers, and it supports advanced use cases like high-level path planning, computer vision, 3D modeling and more. You can also use this SDK to control drones from desktop computers and ground station apps, communicating easily over a higher-latency RF link.
Version 2 is essentially a ground-up rewrite, taking into consideration the major pain points from our library while developing for Solo: performance, ease of use, ease of development, extensibility and testing. DroneKit-Python 2.0 is designed to make the on-vehicle development process easier, more efficient and more robust all around.
New Features in version 2.0:
- Quick to get started: shortest example is just 3 lines of code
- Embeddable as a Python library into any application
- Multi-vehicle support in a single application
- Create vehicle subclasses and add support for new MAVLink messages
- Simplified state synchronization calls
- Clean and comprehensive documentation and guides
- Easy to debug and test with Software in the Loop
- Extensive cross-platform tests (Windows, OS X, and Linux)